OVS is a partner of the Canadian Resource Centre for Victims of Crime, which offers the Homicide Support Group, a drop-in national support group for family members, friends and close loved ones of homicide/murder victims. This group offers peer support to those dealing with violent loss. It is open to impacted family and friends in the Ottawa region and co-facilitated by OVS staff.
The Homicide Support Group:
- Helps normalize the intense impacts of grief
- Provides a safe, non-judgmental space
- Enables participants to discover and develop both internal and external resources
- Encourages grievers to ask for and receive support, understanding and compassion
- Helps participants learn about self-acceptance, self-care, self-comparison and resilience
- Supports members to accept and integrate the reality of the loss
- Protects against isolation and shame in a mourning-avoiding culture.
The group gathers on the last Thursday of the month. Intake process is required. The group is open to all survivors of homicide.
Virtual, English only.
To sign up, please email email@example.com or call, toll-free, at 1-877-208-0747.